[Clipart] ANNOUNCE: SVG::Metadata

Glenn Randers-Pehrson glennrp at comcast.net
Sun Jun 13 12:36:26 PDT 2004

At 11:14 AM 6/13/2004 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Glenn Randers-Pehrson wrote:
>> At 10:04 PM 6/12/2004 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> >I've completed writing some code for processing collections of SVG files
>> >to validate their metadata (title, author, license).  The code is
>> >packaged and released to CPAN:
>> >
>> >    http://search.cpan.org/~bryce/SVG-Metadata-0.01/
>> >
>> >It includes the following:
>> >
>> >SVG::Metadata - A module for parsing and accessing an SVG's metadata,
>> >    including title, author, license, and keywords.
>> >
>> >svg_validate - A script for scanning through a collection of SVG files
>> >    and extracting ones with valid metadata.  It also automatically
>> >    generates png's for each (using inkscape) and metadata text files.
>>
>> For the past few weeks I have been attempting to get a "License" keyword
>> approved by the PNG group, so far without success.  The group seems to
>> feel that licensing info should go in a textual chunk with the "Copyright"
>> keyword, even if there is no copyright.  I'll know more on June 23
>> when the group finishes voting.
>>
>> We could follow that recommendation, or we could of course use an
>> un-registered "License" keyword or even "OCAP License" keyword.  It
>> would be good to use the same keywords in PNG and SVG metadata.
>
>Agreed.  But if they end up using the Copyright keyword, that's probably
>not an issue.
>
>Do you know of tools for editing the metadata in a PNG file?  I could
>modify the script to include a metadata insertion into the generated PNG
>files as part of the process.

pngcrush will do it.  I wanted to resolve issues with the PNG group
before writing it up.

For example,

pngcrush -text b "Copyright" \
"copyright 2000 svg-scribblers, Inc.
Placed in Public Domain June 2004" \
-text b "Author" "J. F. Scribbler, www.svg-scribblers.com" \
in.png out.png

The "b" means place the resulting tEXt chunk before the IDAT chunks.
Otherwise use "a" to put it after the IDAT.

Glenn