[Clipart] Metadata

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue Jun 22 23:01:36 PDT 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> >>One thing that would add convenience would be if I could have
> >>it parse straight from a scalar (taken from form input), rather
> >>than from a file.
> >
> > Easy enough to add; I'll put it on the todo list and try to get
>  > to it in the very near future.
>
> Actually, it turns out that CGI::Lite writes file uploads into
> a file anyway, so I don't need this after all.  Though it would
> still probably be a useful addition to the API in general.

Right, can't hurt.  Although it is one more thing to test, but...
I think the ability to load from a url may be particularly handy.

> I think Perl lends itself very well to this sort of development,
> because of a couple of things about the language.  First, it's
> a large language (read: provides lots of features), so if you
> know the language pretty well it's fairly easy to get something
> working quickly, especially since the CPAN does half your work
> for you most of the time.

Yup.  I also find it provides a pretty easy path to shift from unix
commands at the commandline, to a shell script, to a perl script with
backticks, to more fancier stuff.