[Clipart] Website content

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Mon Mar 15 23:58:55 PST 2004

So here goes some stuff I expect us to argue about a touch.  I'm going
to try and break it up as much as possible.  I'm leaving some
implementation details out, mostly to get agreement and ideas on the
general concepts first -- then we can delve into those.

1) File format.  At one point we had talked about doing both PNGs and
SVGs - but Chris brought up the good point that SVGs can do everything
PNGs can, plus they're vectored.  So what about having the entire
repository be SVG?  I have no problem with that.

2) How are the categories generated?  I think that one way that we've
discussed is by making them generate themselves.  I'm going to type that
up here as a proposal.  I'm not trying to take credit for these ideas,
they are definitely not mine alone, I'm more of a secretary.

Basically, allow each picture to have it's own editable metadata.  This
data would be treated similarly to a Wiki, where everyone can edit and
work with it to continually refine it.  One of those categories would be
'keywords' which would contain a list of keywords that describe the
particular piece of clip art.  This list of keywords would be relatively
free form, but with editors and the such will probably end up having
some commonly used words throughout the entire repository.

Then, some script comes through and associates all of the clipart and
keywords and starts to create categories.  This creates a nice little
database, but isn't used as such, more as a way to create the browseable
index of the pieces in the collection.  So basically the keywords that
select the largest number of graphics are used at the highest level, and
then the smaller set is reevaluated at the next level.  Eventually a
hierarchy will emerge based on the Wiki-like keywords.

3) Name.  The project needs an official name, I'm happy with
clipart.freedesktop.org, but I also like UnCAP (for Unified ClipArt
Project).  I think that we need to select that relatively quickly -
atleast before we start to market the repository.

4) License.  I think everything should have to be public domain, is
there any issue with that?

Okay, I see those are the biggies to cover first.  I'll shut up for a
little bit and let other people have the mic ;)

		--Ted