[Clipart] Progress and Roadmap

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Nov 11 19:12:53 PST 2004

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>>Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>
>>>Our most serious need are for people who can help review and sort
>>>through the current clipart, remove duplicates, update keywords, correct
>>>misspellings, etc. etc.  Lots of work to be done there.
>>
>>as we have now images sorted in categories (and directories) based on
>>keywords, the 'unsorted' category has grown again.
>>i'm interested in working at sorting it in categories but i want to have
>>defined first how this sorting should be done: moving the files from one
>>directory to another is enough? i think not, because we will have at
>>some point the navigation based on keywords
>

> That's correct; the keywords need to be updated to match the categories
> they're placed in.  Possibly a script could help with this, but honestly
> I think for a lot of the work we need real live good human brains to get
> things fixed up just right.

Agree! What would be good is a way to empower the community to be able
to see what is in the pool, check the file and whatnot all from the
website. Then we could develop a new level of user.

Maybe this could be the expanded version of the incoming pool. For
example, the incoming pool requires someone to look at the file
thumbnail, the metadata and add anything else that will make it pass the
test, and then submit to test. Once it passes and is adequately
enriched, then a human clicks "add to the library" or something.

In metaphoric terms...it would be like a system of check-in to the
library that uses an open system to allow people to help out.