[Clipart] Progress and Roadmap

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 12 03:57:13 PST 2004

Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Stephen Silver wrote:

> > A couple of ideas:
> >
> > 1) Block edits from all (mainland) Chinese IP addresses.  Most of the
> >    spam comes from such IP addresses (e.g., all the IP addresses you
> >    listed above are Chinese).  I'm not aware of any legitimate edits
> >    from such IP addresses, and it would always be possible to unblock
> >    specific ranges if someone needs to use them.
>
> If you can find the IP range corresponding to this, we can add blocks
> for them.

Hmm, it seems to be more difficult than I expected to find a complete
list for this, so maybe it wasn't a good idea after all.  But if we
can at least block those ranges from which we have received spam, this
should help control the amount of spam to some extent.

The following ranges cover recent spammers:

 61.48.*.* - 61.51.*.*
 202.107.*.*
 218.1.*.*
 218.74.*.*
 218.78.*.* - 218.83.*.*
 220.184.*.*
 221.216.*.* - 221.223.*.*

> The ideal
> way to solve this would be to add one or two more admins able to enact
> these bans.  You and Rejon would seem to be the best two candidates for
> this.  I'd be happy to add either or both of you if you're willing to
> take the duty.

You can add me if you like.  Do I need a freedesktop.org account for this?

> > By the way, if someone with the power to do so could delete all the
> > pages created by 202.107.216.99 this would get rid of most of the
> > spam that's currently on the wiki.
>
> Deleted.

Thanks, but you missed some:

Avoiding_Memory_Leaks