[Clipart] Canceling Dec Clipart Release

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Nov 30 10:00:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 23:13 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, we're still waiting for freedesktop.org to restore the
> > > website for OCAL, so cannot perform a release this month.
> > 
> > i suspect our website was not restored by freedesktop.org because of 
> > lack of action from us in security reviewing our own stuff and reporting 
> > to them that it is OK. or the required review was done and i'm not aware?
> > as we don't ship any code, only images, probably we have to just check 
> > the website scripting.
> Rejon has been in contact with them several times about it, and is still
> pinging them regularly.  Also, we don't have anything in CVS requiring
> review.  I have been ready to review the CGI's but so far they have not
> made the contents of the openclipart home dir available, afaik.

Yes, I have been talking to Daniels almost everyday and he always says
he will get to it later in the day, yet the site is still not online abd
what he says he will do he does not. This is really irking me and I feel
like we need to set a hard deadline to decide if the site is not online
by say Friday, we be forced to move the project to another hosting

While this is frustrating and there is an importance to our relationship
with fd.o, I think we must act in the best interest of our project. We
already have a good relationship with many projects and whether or not
our site is hosted on fd.o is not as important as not having our project
online at all, right?

How about we give them until the end of the day FRIDAY to get the site
online, and if it is not online then we make a decision for alternate

In relationship to this, please think of solutions for our project to
get it off life-support and into full-life mode.

We need to consider options for:

1.) Alternate Hosting - This has more to do with which service. We
require lots of space and a good amount of bandwidth. Our requierements
for hosting are only going to scale (and very quickly).

2.) Mirroring Strategies - How can we mirror the entire project on
multiple servers, or are we only going to mirror the repository and keep
all of our user management files and our main cvs/svn repository
centralized? Any thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with this?
How does Sourceforge accomplish this?

I think a good mirroring stategy will be the best solution as we can
maintain multiple relationships and also have redundancy if a service
goes off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement this properly?

> > also, i believe we have to resubmit our public keys, in order to regain 
> > shell access
> Actually I was able to log in earlier today.  I had to delete the entry
> from .ssh/known_hosts but it let me in fine.

I was able to login as well. SSH appears to work great...

Similarly, UC Berkeley's Center for New Media (http://cnm.berkeley.edu/)
offered to provide a mirror for our project. I offered this to fd.o, but
haven't heard back from them about that either.

Overall, I'm very dissapointed with fd.o over the last 2 weeks since
their server went down. Up to that point fd.o's service was great; no
stress and very responsive to addition of services.

Lets please discuss the two points I mentioned above and come up with a
good strategy.

Jon Phillips

(NEW) USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
Open Clip Art Library (www.openclipart.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)
Scale Journal (http://scale.ucsd.edu)

More information about the clipart mailing list