[Clipart] Ideas for cmdline file upload

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Oct 20 11:59:58 PDT 2004

As part of the dms tools, now that I've sort of figured out how
authentication can be done, the next question that's cropped up is
the file upload.

It is possible to upload files through SOAP itself, but it's quite
inefficient because the SOAP calls do an expensive MIME encoding
process.  For one or two submissions that's probably fine, but when
uploading a whole collection I'm worried it's going to be too slow.

Fortunately, we have some flexibility since the client script that does
the uploading could invoke other commands either on the client or server
side.

For instance, we could scp a file up to an incoming directory on the
server, then do a SOAP call to cause the server to try to pull that file
in from the incoming dir.

However, I'm not sure if that's the best approach.  It has some
flexibility to it, in that the file could be uploaded to incoming by any
variety of mechanisms, but it adds an additional step that could incur
some security or complexity issues.

What do others think?  Is there another way to get the SVG file itself
up to the server quickly, simply and efficiently?