[Clipart] Positive submission reinforcement

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Thu Oct 28 10:44:20 PDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Hi,
>   I submitted a couple (simple) SVG graphics the other day: scuba_tank
> and nitrox_scuba_tank.  I tried to follow all the rules, but was a
> little confused.  I think I eventually submitted it correctly, and
> after browsing through your archives, I found the following page:
> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/clipart/2004-October/001706.html
> which contains the passfail records.  I'm still not 100% sure that my
> images were accepted, but I feel more confident after seeing them in
> the list.

Cool, good to hear.

>   Anyway, the reason that I mention all this is that it is (currently)
> not really all that welcoming to begin submitting clipart.  I read
> through quite a bit of the OCA.org website, but I still have no real
> idea if my clipart has been accepted, and I don't know why it isn't
> included in the current collection.  Do you release the new art in
> batches?

Yes, we do releases once a month, and yes you're right it's not as
smooth as it ought to be.  We're working on improving the tools as we
go.

>   I think this is a great project, and I hope to contribute more items
> as I get better and better with Inkscape, but I suspect that you would
> have more contributors if there was a little clearer explanation about
> what the process is - ie, when can I expect to actually see my clipart
> be part of the collection?  How do I know I did it right, and that it
> is going to be included?  Is there a way to have the passfail records
> on the site someplace?

Would you be interested in helping us establish these explanations?
Speaking for myself, I think I'm too deep into the mechanics to know how
it works from the outside.  If you're comfortable with HTML we can give
you access to the website for updating descriptions, etc.

The correct answer right now is that we create new collections once each
month, at the start of the month.  Later we hope to have a more
immediate feedback process, but there's some tool development required
to achieve that.