[Clipart] OpenClipArt.org Logos and the Gnome HIG?

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Sep 2 10:11:52 PDT 2004

[added the person who asked the question to the CC list]

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:00:25 +0200
> From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus at gnome.org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] OpenClipArt.org Logos and the Gnome HIG?
>
> Havent followed the thread, but the major HIG demand is that you never
> put text into an icon as it is not i18n friendly

Thanks Christian

Makes sense for icons, although I still object to abiword using the
letter A three times for Bold Italic and Underline instead B I U, because
Abiword specifically has the infrastructure to support localised Icons.
It is important to know when to bend the rules.

More importantly this competition specifically asked for Logos and
Logotypes.
The project brand OpenClipArt.org will certainly not need to be
translated although some might be tempted to try and translate "Open Clip
Art Library" I wouldn't recommend it.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://inkscape.org