[Clipart] svg fonts

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Sep 7 09:47:50 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:03:37 +0900
> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> To: clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> Subject: [Clipart] svg fonts
>
> I realized that after sending that link that we could accept SVG fonts
> to be part of our collection. Most clip art projects also include fonts,
> and there is such a data cloud of fonts out there, it would be great to
> collect good SVG fonts on our site.

Frankly I think we should accept just about anything we get offered, think
of how much junk museums keep in their basements but never actually put on
display.  There will come a point where we will only package the best of
OpenClipart.

> SVG fonts will become more useful once Inkscape and other apps support
> SVG Fonts from the w3c spec.

I hadn't actually heard of SVG Fonts until now.
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/fonts.html

I am very interested that they are specifically designed so that you can
convert text into SVG while still retaining the underlying text, which
allows things like later converting back to text.

More importantly it provides a consistant way to display things.

Rather than saying "font not found" (it gets really annoying really fast)
SVG viewers should not be accepting any blame and instead be complaining
that the other application failed to provide proper SVG Font information
like it was supposed to.  It is impressive that SVG is well designed
and robust enough to avoid the usual messing that occurs with differnt
fonts on differnt systems.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/