[Clipart] Public domain and Norwegian law

Runar Ingebrigtsen ringe at skolelinux.no
Tue Sep 7 17:54:34 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've been to some lessons in Norwegian IPR practice recently where I
learned some interesting things.

"Public domain" does not exist in Norway. Norwegian law does not allow
anyone to give away or remove the copyright, or as said in the law - the
creator rights.

This does not mean that a work cannot be made publicly available for
totally free usage, as in "public domain" - just that the creator still
keeps the copyright of her work.

Interestingly, as an employee the contract have to explicitly say that
the employer get all rights to do whatever with the employees work or
else the employee can just say no to any usage if she wants to.

Still, the employee owns the copyright here, but I since the contract
deals with it she usually have no rights to use the work if the employer
says no..

Just thought you might be interested.

--
Best Regards         (^<   >^)