[Clipart] new site design in progress

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Sep 8 13:43:43 PDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> * For the download stuff across the top:
>   * People are going to try to click on Get ClipArt!, so it ought to
>     be a link.  I'm unsure whether it should be a link to the package
>     downloads or the browse.  Whichever it links to should probably
>     also have a more prominent link to the other option.
>   * "Downloads" is ambiguous.  I know that it points to the bulk
>     packages, put a new user won't know that.  "Browse" is much more
>     obvious what it does.
>   * I tend to think the order should be reversed:  Browse first and
>     then Download Packages afterward.

Perhaps this could be combined into something like...

               [Browse __________]    [Get ClipArt Packages]

?

> * Regarding Quick Submit:  the submission thingy on the front page as
>   it currently stands takes up quite a lot of space, more than you
>   depict there certainly.  I like your design better, among other
>   reasons because there's some chance the user might actually see that
>   there are news headlines down below, which currently is very
>   unlikely unless the user scrolls down.

Reducing the size would be nice, but I definitely think it is worth
having it there front and center.  It's much more important than the
news, so if it hides the news items a bit, I think that's a fairly minor
issue.

> * I assume the list of Contributors is just a sample.  It obviously
>   doesn't list some of the most prolific contributors.  I like the way
>   it's layed out, though it should be sorted in some kind of order,
>   either by number of images contributed or alphabetically.  Later,

Or randomly.  :-) I expect that a few people will be submitting large
collections (such as icon themes) so if it is sorted by number, then the
list could get rather monotonous with the same 5 people listed always.

Alphabetically would not be good, because then only people with 'a'
usernames would be shown.

A random selection would ensure any contributor has an equal chance of
being shown.

Another idea would be to list most-recent-submitters, which would be
nice in that it would give immediate acknowledgement to contributors.

>   when our metadata stuff is more worked-out and integrated with the
>   DMS that Bryce is working on, we might be able to make those links
>   to browse the images submitted by that contributor -- by category.

Yup, definitely.

> * The screenshot doesn't show much of the news items or the footer,
>   and I'd like to see those.  For the news items, it'd be cool if a
>   small version of the logo could be used as a bullet for each point.
>   (There are 16, 32, 48, and 64 pixel versions of it at
>   http://openclipart.org/openclipart-NNpx.png
>   where NN is the number of pixels on a side.  I'm not sure which
>   size would be most appropriate for this, 32 maybe?)

I like that idea.  :-)  Helps pull in and unify the logo with the site
look and feel.