[Clipart] new site design in progress

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Sat Sep 11 10:25:08 PDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> The upload script is already smart enough to present the user with an
> additional form if it doesn't get all the information it's looking
> for.  Try uploading an SVG that doesn't have any metadata embedded,
> and don't specify one of the required fields (e.g., Author) sometime,
> and see what it does.  The finer points of how this is handled could
> be improved (e.g., it currently doesn't remember the filetype already
> specified and fill it in -- an oversight on my part when I added
> support for more than just SVG), but the basic framework is there.

Ah, very cool.

> I've taken submit-steps.inc and reworked it a bit for compactness and
> have checked the result into CVS as submit-compact.inc, which we can
> use as a starting point.  Have a look at it, and let me know what you
> think.  Ideally, someone who knows LiveScript/JavaScript/ECMAScript
> much better than I do should fix this so that it only needs one
> keyword field and appends the additional keywords to that one field
> with commas, instead of rotating them into the additional fields (of
> which there are only three on the compact form, but that's still very
> likely too many for the compact form and yet not enough for fully
> classifying some images).

Do you need javascript for a form that allows adding additional keyword
lines?  I think I've got an example kicking around...

For the options, this looks like something the dms should be providing
that this form can load dynamically when it creates itself.  Hmm...

Some other comments...  in the file types, can you make the values all
of consistent case?  Currently some are all caps, others are lower.

Also, another idea to kick around...  Javascript can be externally
referenced like css files, which could allow the client to cache them.
For js that doesn't change very often, that could save bandwidth and
performance, so if you can think of ways to put large chunks of the
needed code into separate .js files, that would be worthwhile -
especially for anything that goes on the front page.