Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Mon Sep 13 07:40:09 PDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:05:47 +0900, Jon Phillips wrote:
> I don't think we should underestimate web users too much, as they know
> what a text input field in the top bar like so and an arrow to the right
> of that means...c'mon pavlov and google have done that...

As one datapoint, I missed the search box completely, (even when I was
looking for a way to search).

I didn't recognize it as a text entry box at all, (since it was drawn as
a flat rectangle and not as a native text entry, which in my browser,
would be drawn with a 3D effect).

Then, I saw the "Search" text and thought it was a non-functional link.

I never even noticed the little graphic with a couple rectangles and a
triangle. I definitely didn't think it was a button, (though I might
have if I had recognized the text entry).

I don't know how general my experience might be, but there it is.

-Carl

PS. Thanks for removing the scrollbars! It's so nice to be able to
scroll the pages again by using arrow keys like I am accustomed to.