Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Sep 14 21:48:38 PDT 2004

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> Cool man!!! You rock majorly!

It's the CPAN that rocks.  All I do is harness it and make it do our
work for us :-)

> I got daniel stone to install image magick, but I think you mean the
> perl wrapper around that.

Yes.  It might come with that, though...

jonadab at gabe:~$ perl -e ' use Image::Magick; print "$Image::Magick::VERSION$/" '
6.0.7
jonadab at gabe:~$

Looks good.  I'll put in the mail-sending stuff and test it some more.

Actually, you can test it now, here:
http://search.cpan.org/src/BRYCE/SVG-Metadata-0.15/lib/SVG/Metadata.pm

It *should* work now, except for sending the mail, which will not be
hard to add.

> Did you see my makeThumbnail script in the screenshots folder (it is
> simple)...it would be cool to attach this to the work you've done to
> automate the creation of thumbnails...

Having a look now...

Yeah, that would work too, but ImageMagick comes with the Perl
bindings, so I think I'll stick with doing it that way, since it
doesn't require installing anything more.  (It's about three lines of
Perl, making the actual thumbnail.  Most of the 200 lines in
upload_screenshot.cgi is HTML and comments and sanity checks.)

> All these little site tools are sweet that we have rocking.

Getting there.  Some things could still use some polish, but the
toolset is definitely starting to take shape.

> We should make a wishlist of tools.

Well, there are some things we know we want...

 * The ability to easily add keywords to existing images using the web
   interface.  If nobody else does this, I'll probably get to it in
   the next while or so.  I can't commit to a specific timeframe,
   though, and if someone else wants to work on it, that's fine too.

 * An easy way for authors to update their own contributions.  This is
   currently waiting on the DMS work that Bryce is doing, I think.

 * The package-and-release toolchain probably needs refinement.  I'm
   not familiar enough with it to know exactly what kind of refinement.

 * The tools for taking images from Incoming or from a released
   package and moving them into the Browse script's directory
   heirarchy for easy browsing probably need to be automated better.
   I've been mostly ignoring this since the browse tool was largely
   Alberto's work, and I didn't want to step on his toes, and in any
   case it really needed some of the keyword stuff that only got in
   place (relatively) recently.

 * The XML category heirarchy thingy hasn't seen much action lately.

 * We wanted to investigate a package format, and it got put on the
   back burner waiting for some other things to come together.  We
   could probably get back to that soon, if a couple of us get some
   Copious Free Time.