[Clipart] Thumbnails in clipart packages

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Sep 17 19:04:05 PDT 2004

A long time ago, on a mailing list not very far away, we were
discussing where to put thumbnails in our package format...

"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab at bright.net> writes:

>>> how about we just agree that clipart/.thumbnails within the zip
>>> archive contains things that would go in ~/.thumbnails when the
>>> package is installed on a desktop system.
[...]
> In all seriousness, it could be clipart/thumbnails without bothering
> me at all. [...]  And in any event software that is aware of the
> package format will unpack the thumbnails into ~/.thumbnails or
> MYDOCU~1\.thumbnails or some comparable location. redoing the
> location hash for the filename in accordance with the TMS.

The more I think about this, the more I think we should go back and do
what we were thinking originally:  plop the thumbnails right beside
the images themselves, with .thumb.png added to the filename.  Because
of the way the Thumbnail Management Standard handled the filenames of
the thumbnails dependent on the original file's location, it is
absolutely inevitable and unavoidable that unpackaging software, in
order to store the thumbnails in accordance with the TMS, will *have*
to move them *and* recalcualte the location hashing stuff over from
scratch, anyway.  Therefore, I see no reason to complicate our
packaging format with something that isn't going to do anyone any
good, since it will just have to be redone when it's unpacked.

The added benefit here beyond simplicity is that if someone just uses
a naive unzipping tool to unpack the clipart, they'll be able to tell
which thumbnail goes with which image, easily.

We'll still follow the TMS guidelines for what format the thumbnails
should be in and what size and that stuff.