[Clipart] Transitioning to the automatic/dynamic screenshots gallery

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Mon Sep 27 10:22:56 PDT 2004

Hi, I'm the same person as Jonadab, but this is my work
address.  (Off-list messages should be sent to my home
address only, jonadab at bright.net, though really on-list
replies are even better in almost all cases.)

Anyway, what I want to discuss here is the screenshot gallery.
I have two questions.  The first is long, and the other one
is the last couple of paragraphs at the end of the message.

Currently, the screenshots link on the sidebar points here:
http://openclipart.org/screenshots/index.php

However, that page has to be manually updated, for each new
screenshot.  As of now it hasn't been updated for the last
three screenshots submitted.

Screenshots submitted using the new screenshot upload facility
are automatically shown here:
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/view_screenshots.cgi

That one doesn't have to be updated manually, because it globs
up all the screenshot description files that have been put in
the screenshots directory by the screenshot uploader.  From
the description file it reads the author and description to
display, as well as the locations of the thumbnail and the
full-size screenshot.

So here's the first question...

It's possible to get the old screenshots to show up there too,
by faking the description file.  These are simple text files in
the screenshots directory with a filename that looks like
screenshot_n_description.txt where n is an integer.  I went
ahead and created the description files for the ones that
show the clipart being _used_, but my question is about the
very early screenshots that just showed the clipart being
created e.g. in inkscape.  There's nothing wrong with these
shots really, except that they just show the clipart itself,
not actual usage.  So my question is, before we change the
"screenshots" link on the sidebar to point to the new
automatic gallery, do we want to add description files for
those screenshots?  Anyone can do this.  They're just text
files and they look like this:

ID-Number:   7
Submitted:   Before the screenshot uploader tool was in place.