[Clipart] RSS feeds and aggregation

Jonathan Leighton turnip at turnipspatch.com
Thu Apr 7 13:20:23 PDT 2005

(I'm subscribed now, so all replies can go straight to the list)

Jon Phillips wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 13:18 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>

>>http://freedesktop.org/~nicubunu/freegraphics/
>>this is just the default Planet template with a RSS feed taken from
>>Inkscape.
>>
>>what i propose:
>>1. "borrow" the news system from Inkscape website to have RSS feeds also
>>on OCAL
>>

>I've emailed Jonathan Leighton about him implementing the same system
>for OCAL, as well. Jonathan, would you be willing to do a similar
>conversion for ocal. The underlying html is the same for news as
>Inkscape, so it should be a no-brainer.

Sure.

Jon, I sent you my details a while back, did you request a fd.org
account for me? I'll need CVS access to do it ; ).

>>2. aggregate the feeds from those two sites (Inkscape and OCAL) and from
>>the known weblogs of our contributors (i know about jimmac, Uraeus and Alan)
>>3. use a better URL (like planet.openclipart.org or something more neutral)
>>

>Ok...sounds good. planet.openclipart.org sounds good to me.
>

>>4. improve the page look (Planet theme, style sheet)
>>

>Make it inline with our webpage.

What do you mean? Make it look the same/similar to OCAL?

>>6. get more of us to publish blogs and aggregate them
>>

>Agree...I have been planning to do this as well.
>

>>7. convince people from other projects (The Gimp, Scribus) to give us
>>feeds from their news and developers blogs
>>

>Yes, I agree....
>

>>8. Profit!
>>

>Agree...The only thing is that I have been wanting to develop an
>organization/planet site for the creative community that would help bind
>all these projects together. Maybe a good first step is to make a planet
>site for openclipart.org, and then once that is successful make a larger
>planetcreative.org or something on freedesktop.org. The more we can
>share what we are all working on together, I think the better.

How about getting freegraphics.org? Then that could be the free graphic
app co-ordination organisation, encouraging things like consistent UIs
etc. We could then have planet.freegraphics.org for aggregation.
planetcreative.org sounds like Just Another Planet Site to me, which
wouldn't be the impression we'd want to give if we are aiming to do
something more than just aggregate feeds.

--
Jonathan Leighton aka. Turnip
http://turnipspatch.com/ | http://digital-proof.org/