[Clipart] KDE and OCAL

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 16:15:41 PDT 2005

hi everyone =)

i skimmed through the last two months of list traffic (fortunately for me
there was not very much =), but i have not yet subscribed to the list. i may
do so in future, depending on how things go. as you can imagine i'm already
on a few mailing lists and so try and not immediately join every single one
that i find interesting ;) so ... please CC me on replies for the time being
if you could; thanks ...

ok, so why am i posting? well, i think that what you folks are doing here is
great, and within that context i'd to help make a couple things happen:

	0. generate more support for OCAL
	1. improve the experience for KDE users

i think i (and others in the KDE project) can possibly help both of the above
things happen by opening the doorway to the OCAL collection for KDE users.

off the top of my head, i can think of a few things that could be done between
KDE and OCAL (and i'm sure you'll have a lot more ideas too =):

	- providing a KDE application that can browse the archives (online/offline?)
of OCAL. this could be made a generic part that other applications, such as
KOffice or Quanta, could use to allow seamless access to OCAL images.
	- provide a GetHotNewStuff feed on OCAL's web site to make it easy (e.g. a
couple clicks) for KDE users to grab the latest / greatest stuff from OCAL.
	- mention OCAL as a resource in our documentation of appropriate
applications, such as the KOffice apps.
	- explore ways to cross-polinate between kde-look.org (and the upcoming
kde-docs.org) and OCAL

and of course, there are opportunities for making public announcements about
this. now while i personally will not be able to do all of the above with
just my own two hands, i can perhaps help facilitate this by pitching in some
of my own efforts and (probably resulting in greater effect) finding the
"right people" in KDE to work with OCAL. reciprocation would be welcome, of
course.

looking at your roadmap, it seems that some of these things will become (more)
feasable with the realization of milestones 13 and 17, but i find it's
usually good to start figuring out the details sooner rather than later.

so... there's my brain.dump() ... what are your thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric