Fwd: Re: [Clipart] metadata: aren't the keywords actually categories (and can keywords be added)?

Mike Traum mtraum at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 19:09:12 PDT 2005

Jonadab,
The big xml file could also be exploded by any tool that could read
xml, but that's moot because I misunderstood the implications of a
hard link.

Further along in this thread you'll see that I was totally mistaken
about how a hard link was represented on ext2, ext3, and probably
most other unix based filesystems (ie, it's just an inode reference,
and not a copy of the file). This also works in tar.

So, I think that using hardlinks is quite an appropriate solution,
assumming that the release manager is builing the packages on a
unix/linux system which supports them. You get the benefit of having
a smaller download and users who are using firesystems which support
them get the benefit of saving storage space. The only issue is users
who are using filesystems which don't support them (Windows, FAT32
and NTFS i believe) will end up using more of their local store, but
that seems acceptable to me.

Regarding the 'best of' packages, those are a good idea. I think
another great idea would be a shopping cart-type app. See Microsoft's
website, which I consider to be quite well done (and don't get me
wrong, I no MS advocate - I work exclusively on Linux):
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart

mike