[Clipart] Update Packages

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Apr 19 10:40:48 PDT 2005

Okay, the question was about releasing update packages, with just the
clipart since the last release.  Presumably we would also still need
to release the full releases, so this is just a supplement for users
who already have the previous one, and just want updates.  One imagines
it would contain everything that has changed since last release -- new
images, updated indices, images that have been edited/updated, ...

 >>I have thought about this, but this may be the first time it has been
 >>brought up on the list.  The main problem I see is with the logistics
 >>of how the user would merge the updates into the previously-downloaded
 >>release.

Of course, if there were an unpackaging tool familiar with the
particulars of the package format, it could handle that, but I
think for the moment we have to assume such a thing is future;
right now, I think anything we release needs to be usable as
it stands.  So, how would the user go about merging the updates?

 >>This is an issue I'd like to discuss on the list (preferably
 >>in a separate thread).
 >
 > alright.. i'll let you start that thread at your convenience so
 > it makes sense within your workflow =)

Let's go ahead and *start* the discussion, and if people are busy,
it can just take weeks or months to discuss :-)