[Clipart] clipart-authority-control.pl and propagate-metadata.pl patches

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Apr 29 06:49:58 PDT 2005

"Stephen Silver" <ocalocal at btinternet.com> writes:

> During the last release, dozens of files containing non-ASCII
> characters in the metadata were corrupted by having the characters
> converted to HTML entities.  SVG::Metadata has been fixed so that
> this will no longer happen

> - however, what will now happen is that the characters will be
> converted to Latin-1, which is just as bad (though not the fault of
> SVG::Metadata).
>
> The attached patches for clipart-authority-control.pl and
> propagate-metadata.pl fix this by opening the SVG files in
> UTF-8 mode.

New versions checked into CVS.  These also use the to_svg interface,
which should eliminate the regular-expression-related bugs entirely
(and introduce a whole new class of XML-parser-related bugs ;-)

I also fixed the keyword script at the same time, in the same way.

I think svg_validate and svg_annotate need to be fixed in these same
ways.  In the version I have (0.23), I am unable to determine that
these two scripts use the type of open statement you included in the
patches; they seem to be of the open FOO, ">filename" variety there.

svg_annotate can probably wait, but svg_validate handles all of the
files during the release process.  I can (theoretically) just change
the open statements in the copy of that script on my system here,
where I'm doing the release, so that things will (theoretically) be as
they (theoretically) should for this release (theoretically), but for
the long term you probably need to submit proper patches for both of
those scripts to Bryce.  Also, I should probably submit patches to
make them use the to_svg method.  Come to think of it, why don't I
just roll both of those changes (the UTF8 malarke in the open
statements plus the to_svg method calls to obviate the regexen)
together and submit one patch (per file) that does both...

Yeah, I'll go ahead and do that, probably today.