[Clipart] PR for 0.16

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Mon Aug 1 10:16:01 PDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:42:01AM -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Patricia FIDI <fidipat at levillage-afrique.com> writes:
> > Certainly, english or american is more international than spanish
> > and french but imagine you have to surf on an another foreign site
> > even if you know to speak spanish or french.  It won't be easy as
> > for me.

I think Patricia has a good point about the need to provide OCAL in
other languages, as it grows and becomes a worldwide resource.

While I don't know if we currently have enough translators to translate
the website, it would be wise if we at least ensure that we have the
mechanisms to allow handling translations, so that when someone who does
have the time and skill to do translating, they can do it and keep it in
sync in a straightforward way.

Does anyone know of good technical approaches for handling this?  I have
to imagine this is an oft-solved problem in Open Source and that there
must be some good practices we could reuse...  Ideas?

(Obviously, a simple way to do it would be to simply have separate
copies of all the .php files in each language, but I imagine it'd be
extremely painful to keep those all in sync if we make architectural or
design changes to the site.)