[Clipart] Nazi flag

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Thu Aug 4 06:15:48 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 11:33 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> So we could say, "we will remove an image if you can show that it's
> illegal in enough countries to represent 3% of the world's population or
> more". You can argue about whether 3 is the best number. Personally I
> think any number is fine, as long as it's "small".

Incredibly bad idea :) We are not removing the US flag even if enough
Arab countries should decide its illegal to display for being an evil
symbol of a heathen imperial power, or removing the Taiwanese flag if
the Chinese government decides its a symbol of national subversion.
And you could make up tons of other such examples.

The openclipart leadership have used a policy of trying to be liberal
and use common sense in extreme cases and that is the policy we should
stick with. Local packagers should then remove/filter out images which
doesn't work in the local constituents.

I would also like to point out that people have been arguing that the
nazi flag for instance is illegal in France or Germany. This is
bullshit. In these countries you do not risk the police storming your
house for downloading a clipart collection which includes a nazi flag.
In France it is illegal to make money selling nazi effects etc., but
that is not the same as including a Nazi flag in a collection alongside
other historic flags and symbols. German and French schoolbooks do
contain images of the Nazi flag like schoolbooks and history books in a
lot of other places. A stated goal of OCAL is to provide students and
others with images to illustrate their papers, a use for which the nazi
flag in OCAL is perfectly legal and valid, even in France and Germany.

Anyway I hope we can end this discussion, its the third or fourth time
its being done and nothing new have been taken up this that which wasn't
discussed to death in earlier rounds.

Christian