Man page [was Re: [Clipart] New Makefile and clipart_package cvs module!]

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Aug 22 06:48:24 PDT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:57:49 -0700
> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> To: Open Clip Art Library <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] New Makefile and clipart_package cvs module!
>
> On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 20:22 -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:
> >
> > > Debian have man pages for all programs.
> >
> > The Open Clip Art Library, though, is not a program per se.
> >
> > Not that I'm against having a man page, I'm just not sure exactly what
> > information it should contain.
> >
> > Also, whatever information goes in a man page should probably also be
> > made available in a couple of other formats, most particularly HTML
> > and plain ASCII text.
> >
> > But, what information would we put in there?  A description of what
> > the library is?  A description of how to find programs that can use or
> > convert SVG images?  An explanation of what it means that the images
> > have been placed in the public domain?  Contact information?
> > Information on how to contribute?  All of the above?
>
> Let's just hold off on the manpage for now. I've gone full force on this

To clarify I do not think we need a manpage but if a distribution were to
decide they wanted one then I would want us to be in control of it and
provide it for all distributions.  (Had a bad experience in the past with
duplicated work which I do not want to see repeated and distributions are
not as good as they should be at sharing their changes with upstream.)

> I hope this helps the packaging and release process as it is getting
> more complicated.

Sounds like great work.

- Alan