[Clipart] Clip Art Browser 0.39

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 20:40:44 PDT 2005

I'm releasing version 0.39 of the clip art browser. Naturally, this is an
almost-ready snapshot of the next major release, 0.4. Installation works the
same as with past releases, although I don't think Jon's very cool Makefile
will work. The two big missing features that will be added for 0.4 are
making the "Import Clip Art" gui (it requires threading, and pygtk threading
always drives me nuts), and some kind of progress bar during the retrieval
of large result sets.

For this version, a ton of code was revamped, and the result is a
significantly more usable and more extensible product (I think). The
interface, in particular, was violently redone.

http://sharelinux.org/?q=node/1

You'll have to index your clip art using the indexClipart.py script before
using it. Also, for now, I wouldn't reccomend using the ocal_net module with
it, simply for performance... once I have a progress dialog, that will be
more doable. There's a ton of changes in here, most of which were inspired
by the recent thread about the project on this mailing list (in particular,
Nathan's xml category-hierarchy idea proved useful). Also, this version is
significantly more independent of Inkscape. I'll provide more documentation
soon, but check out the config file; you can now have it open up images in
arbitrary programs that you specify, all cleanly integrated into the UI.
Feedback, as always, is very welcome. I'll try to have 0.4 out by, oh say...
Wednesday :).

Greg