[Clipart] pet clipart

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Aug 28 10:05:30 PDT 2005

"MEOW Newsletter" <MEOWNewsletter at Comcast.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I do a newsletter for an animal rescue shelter.  I am having a hard
> time finding clip art of cats/dogs.

The upcoming 0.17 release (due to be officially released around the
first of the month) has, I happened to notice, several new pieces of
cat clipart.  Also, the cats and dogs have been moved into subfolders,
animals/mammals/cats and animals/mammals/dogs respectively.

Actually, some of the packages for this release have already been put
together and are sitting on the server under /downloads/0.17 already,
but there are no links on the site pointing there yet, and not all of
the packages are done (e.g., the Win32-installer version of the
package has not been done yet, last I checked).  If you are in a hurry
you could grab a copy of this release from there.  For instance, the
full release in zip format is here:
http://openclipart.org/downloads/0.17/openclipart-0.17.zip

It should be officially released soon, possibly on Thursday the 1st,
if all goes according to plan.  Our releases have been running
_approximately_ on a monthly cycle, although some months they are
late.  (We maintain the library in our Copious Free Time; as a
volunteer doing a newsletter for a non-profit organisation, I'm sure
you can appreciate that.)

> I have Corel 11 and do have what is on their clipart disc (not much
> in the way of cats/dogs). I have also looked for clipart to purchase
> but none list how many images of pets are available in the package.

Yeah, a lot of times it's hard to tell, without actually buying them,
exactly what they've got in there.  I personally have not bought any
recently, so there are no specific commercial clip-art packages I can
recommend.

> This is a non profit shelter so all money would be out of my pocket
> - yikes!  I have been doing the newsletter for two years now and am
> running out of options.

Maybe the new ones in our 0.17 release can get you by for another
month.  Also, our collection is continually growing.  Although of
course I can't guarantee anything specific, there is a request on the
Clipart Requests page for pet clip art in various poses, so it's
possible some stuff will come in that you can use.  If you have any
more specific requests, you could add them there:
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ClipartRequests

Another thing you could maybe do, for an animal shelter newsletter, is
ask around and see if anyone connected with the shelter, such as one
of the other volunteers, happens to have a digital camera.  If so, you
could perhaps use photographs of some of the actual animals at the
shelter -- maybe feature one animal each month for a while, or
something, and include shots in a couple of different settings or
from different angles.

Also, if photographs are good, you could maybe supplement the clip art
with stock photos from sites such as sxc.hu

Do check out our 0.17 release.  I think it contains at least three new
cats, if I remember correctly.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/