[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] releasing Clip Art Browser 0.4!!

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Aug 30 15:06:28 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 15:25 -0400, Greg Steffensen wrote:
> Hey all, I'm releasing version 0.4 of the Clip Art Browser.  This, of
> course, is the release of the browser thats meant to be the final
> product for the purposes of Google's Summer of Code.  Grab it from
>
> http://download.berlios.de/ocalhelper/clipartbrowser-0.4.tar.gz

Cool!

> Hopefully, installation is even simpler now.  The indexing process for
> local clip art, which could be a bit confusing, has been integrated
> into the GUI, so that now, you really only have to extract and run.
> The README has been updated, but if you have trouble getting it to
> work, let me know.
>
> Ironically, the one feature that no longer works is, uh, working as an
> Inkscape extension.  That should be very simple to do... it just need
> to figure out how to have the executable that Inkscape calls launch
> the browser as a separate process, but this has been surprisingly
> tricky in python.  If people would like to put this in 0.43, I can get
> this fixed tonight if needed, but I assumed that it probbaly wouldn't
> be.  I also figured that the effects menu isn't really the appropriate
> place for something like this, and we'd have to semi-hardcode it into
> some other menu later anyway (I think Jon mentioned something about
> this earlier).

Right, I think for now it is ok. I think it is more important to get it
into a home. I think that is the final thing you should see through at
least, which is to get the code hosted somewhere.

Inkscape and OCAL folk, do you think we should host this as an Inkscape
project, or an OCAL project, or open up a separate project for this? I'm
tempted to open a new separate project for this browser, as it is very
useful to OSS in general, yet, if we move the codebase too far away,
will the locus of attention be too far outside of our combined
developers?

** PLEASE give some feedback on what I jus proposed soon!!!! **

> This isn't a final product, of course.  I look forward to continuing
> to improve it, and hopefully getting more into the code of Inkscape
> proper over the coming months.  Thanks to all the developers who
> provided feedback, and Bryce and Jon in particular.  Also, java sucks.

Looks great and works great! Thanks for integrating so many of the
concerns ppl. voiced.

Cool, yeah, it will be great to keep this project going...totally
awesome...

I'm slightly confused on the left hand menu and in some other places,
but we can sort that out after getting it hosted somewhere, getting the
installation procedure (makefile, etc) sorted, and more ppl. using
it/testing it.

Great!

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894