[Clipart] Copyright

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue Aug 30 21:39:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 03:20:37PM -0400, Nathan Eady wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
>
> >>I prefer that the BSD Daemon be used in the context of BSD software.
> >>So, if you are using the Daemon in some way connected with BSD
> >>software (FreeBSD, NetBSD, or OpenBSD), then use of the daemon
> >>is appropriate. It appears that your usage is appropriate and you
> >>have put the appropriate message up on your site. I do request
> >>that you NOT put it up on openclipart.org as many people feel
> >>that that gives them unlimited rights to use the artwork there
> >>which is what has lead to many inappropriate uses of the Daemon.
>
> > Yes, Peter, we really need to go through the submissions and remove
> > several that are in violation...it is actually really bad that we have
> > so many of these in our collection.
>
> I will put this on my radar for 0.17.  Actually I am starting to
> think that pretty the entire logos/ folder needs to go.  I am also
> starting to think that the little "Yes, it's public domain" checkbox
> on the submit form is wholly inadequate -- but, short of requiring
> first-time submitters to pass a "copyright quiz", I'm not sure
> what to do about it.

Well, we may not be able to solve it 100% upfront.  We can make up for
this by adding after-the-fact accountability.  I.e., make it easier for
participants in our project to mark these as questionable and in need of
review.  I suspect adding a 'feedback loop' like this would drive out
the invalid images surprisingly quickly.  Wikipedia had a similar issue
and it seemed pretty unsolveable yet now they're able to weed these
issues out pretty well.