[Clipart] Definition of Clip Art at Wikipedia

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Feb 9 01:44:17 PST 2005

I have been curious about the definition of the term "Clip Art". SO I went over
to wikipedia and found that it is defined there as:

"Clip art, in the graphic arts, is the use of images either copied or physically
cut (hence the term) from pre-existing printed works, either books that have
entered the public domain, or books specifically published for such use (which,
if they contain images that are not in the public domain, include a license fee
in the cover price)."

It is defined there as PUBLIC DOMAIN images.

I think however that dictionary.com is closer with their definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clip%20art

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject...I posted some notes about the def. of
CLIP ART to the FAQ, and is why I'm curious.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)