[Clipart] Check these images? Is this legal?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Feb 10 00:30:45 PST 2005

I have just submitted some images for the month's black history theme. I
basically took very public images from google image search and vectorized them.
I wanted to see A.) how they look and B.) if this is legal for me to do and them
put them into the copyright.

I only put up 5 for now, and if you all think that it is pushing copyright law,
then let them be stricken.

http://openclipart.org/incoming/martin_luther_king_jr._h_03.svg

http://openclipart.org/incoming/martin_luther_king_jr._h_02.svg

http://openclipart.org/incoming/martin_luther_king_jr._h_01.svg

http://openclipart.org/incoming/john_coltrane_portrait_j_01.svg

http://openclipart.org/incoming/frederick_douglass_port_01.svg

An artist is able to take a work and alter it, or frame a piece of it and then
duplicate that work as long as the original is abstracted. I have abstracted
these, but maybe they need more abstraction. The figures are historical, and I'm
sure that one that are turn of the 19/20th century up until the 30s are ok, but
I'm not sure about more recent photos.

If these are in violation of copyright, then I think I will have to find a
method that is more abstractionistic. Maybe clip out the backgrounds, and then
trace the figures...ugh...that would take a lot of time.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)