[Clipart] Check these images? Is this legal?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Feb 10 01:22:16 PST 2005

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
>
>> I have just submitted some images for the month's black history theme.
>> I basically took very public images from google image search and
>> vectorized them. I wanted to see A.) how they look and B.) if this is
>> legal for me to do and them put them into the copyright.
>>
>> I only put up 5 for now, and if you all think that it is pushing
>> copyright law, then let them be stricken.
>

> considering the improved tracing in Inkscape i wanted to ask something
> similar, but more general, about the usefulness, desirability and
> legality of including traced photos.

Right, my girlfriend asked the same question. I guess what I'm more
interested in are more of abstractions. The hyper-detailed images are
probably not that useful, as why not just use a photo, right? However, I
think maybe if the tracings are a bit more abstract, then they might be
more useful to the project...plus, the file size would shrink.

I'm though more concerned about legality. Does anyone have any insight on this?

> i have a problem with the file size:
>
> this one is 1.3MBL
>
>> http://openclipart.org/incoming/martin_luther_king_jr._h_01.svg
>

> and this one is 2.8MB:
>
>> http://openclipart.org/incoming/frederick_douglass_port_01.svg

Crap...I didn't even check that. Well, that is a bit big, but man, we are
gonna start getting files that size. Our package approach is going to face
some problems soon.

Man...those are big files! I bet the svg could be simplified dramatically.
Any ideas?

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)