[Clipart] Re: svg shell extension

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Feb 15 21:50:45 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:49:01 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestion what library/api to use to render SVG for the
> thumbnails, Jon suggested inkscape, but I don't think it exposes any
> API, correct me if I've overlooked something. I've had a look at libsrvg
> which looks suitable, has anyone used it on win32? Any others to consider?

One you might take a look at is libsvg-cairo. The parsing code is
derived from an older version of librsvg, but the rendering is all
done with cairo. One interesting for this application is that cairo
recently received a GDI-based win32 backend so that you could draw
directly to a win32 window rather than rendering to memory and then
moving the bits to the window.

If you want to play with this, you'll need the following libraries:

	libpixman
	cairo
	libsvg
	libsvg-cairo

built in that order. These are all available as tar files from:

	http://cairographics.org/snapshots/

-Carl

PS. I know that libsvg-cairo currently doesn't render everything in
OCAL perfectly, but that's on my TODO list, (and of course, any help
would be most welcome).