[Clipart] Re: svg shell extension

Andy Burns openclipart at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 06:59:24 PST 2005

[FX: Andy remembers that c at l.f.o doesn't set reply-to: the list address]

Carl Worth wrote:

 > Hmm... and we're about to do some huge changes to all of the cairo
 > API. Maybe I should make a snapshot to let you play with the win32
 > backend before the big API shakeup.

If there is a way to squeeze a v0.3a out I would be a willing victim to
try it out, or just make a suitable label within CVS the mark the
version between 0.3 and the API changes

 > There are some differences of opinion on how the win32 backend should
 > be implemented, but what is in CVS should actually be functional,
 > (modulo a memory leak patch that needs to be applied), and I think
 > we're happy with the interface, (which simply accepts an HDC).

I wasn't sure whether the GDI method was going to "win"

 > I don't know. I'll ask Owen to create a win32 page in the cairo wiki
 > with some of these details.

I'll keep an eye out.

 > Ah, that's too bad. Well, we do have an image backend that you should
 > be able to use just fine then, (and it is in the 0.3.0 snapshot).

At the moment I draw into my bitmap by selecting it into a screen
compatible HDC (CDC actually but) then I just Detach() it to get a
HBITMAP to throw back to explorer, so it _would_ be worthwhile.

So long as theres a "bare bones" example of how to init the library, and
   render a file into it I can dabble from there ...