[Clipart] Adobe Illustrator CS SVG files + incompatibility

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 28 05:11:46 PST 2005

Jonadab wrote:

> On a semi-related side-note, I also noticed that when Inkscape opened
> the .wmf files we've received (most notably, several Hummer images and
> a couple of weapons), it did not do an ideal job of the conversion.
> Shapes are right, but colors in a number of cases are wrong.

As far as I know, Inkscape just uses libwmf's wmf2svg, which has
numerous bugs, some of them very severe.  I have posted some bug
reports and patches to the wvWare bug list at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=110501&group_id=10501&func=browse
With these patches the output usually has the right colours, and is
often OK (except for often being upside down).  But it still makes
a complete mess of some images.

You can also open WMF files in OpenOffice.org and save as SVG.  This
isn't always perfect either (although I haven't tried 1.1.4 yet), but
it's almost always better than wmf2svg 0.2.8.3.

> The wmf files are still in the collection, right alongside the svg
> conversions of them, so it's easy to compare this if you have access
> to a Windows system.

There are only 7 WMF files in the collection, and two of those are duplicates
(hummer_04.wmf = hummer_03.wmf and hummer_06.wmf = hummer_05.wmf).  There were
20 submitted in total, including those duplicates.  I intend to upload these
again somewhen, along with my best attempts at converting them to SVG, but I
probably won't do this in time for the 0.11 release.

--
Stephen Silver