[Clipart] Two issues

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Jan 1 10:53:00 PST 2005

"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab at bright.net> writes:

>> The thing is, I *thought* I understood Unix filesystem permissions,
>> but that plus symbol has me baffled; I have NO idea what it even
>> means.
>
> A Google search for filesystem permissions "drwxrwxr-x+"
> turns up a page that seems to indicate that the + symbol represents an
> ACL.  (Did I mention that Google is cool?)  That gives me something to
> go on, so I potentially might be able to figure out how we can fix
> this ourselves (hopefully).  I'll research ACLs today.

Based on the information here:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-09/acls_01.html
and on the manpage for setfacl,

I believe this is what we needed to do:

  getfacl incoming-pre-0.09 > ~/temp.acl
  setfacl -M ~/temp.acl incoming

So I did that, and checked with getfacl to see that both directories
now have the same stuff in their ACLs.  That does appear to be so.

Please note that I do not grok ACLs well enough to verify that these
permissions are really exactly what we want them to be -- I only know
enough to state that I think they are the same as the permissions on
the former incoming directory (which is now incoming-pre-0.09).