[Clipart] Questions for the Community

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Jul 4 14:47:35 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 20:49 -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Could you all take some time to answer a few of these questions. I will
> probably include some quotes and snippets in a developing section on
> "why people contribute." If you are not into sending this back to the
> list for others to see, just send to me...It might be good though to
> send to the list so everyone can be on the same page. Answers to these
> questions will really help me write this paper.
>
> Thanks!

As Nicu rightly suggested, I should fill this form out as well! Good
suggestion. I wrote it while trying to assess some parts I did not have
enough information on in my paper. Hence, I wrote it while rapidly
putting my paper together and forgot to reply myself. Check below...

> ###
>
> What characteristics typify yourself as a contributor?

I try to stay on top of keeping the project moving in a direction. I
also try to keep the energy level up. The characteristics...hmmm...who
wrote this question? Basically, I try to keep a cool demeanor. I try to
not be rash, but rather try to keep things stable and moving.

> Are you more of a user, an artist, or a developer (librarian), and
> why?

I'm mostly a developer on the project, yet I have also contributed
several pieces of clip art. Most of them I have submitted because I
found them, or asked my girlfriend or other people if I could submit
them.

As a developer I try to help out where needed and do the tasks which no
one else wants to :)

> How many images have you contributed?

Somewhere around 35-45 I believe. The site says 38 in the
statistics.txt, but I have submitted some new ones and co-submitted
others.

> What are the top five things you contribute to the project?

1. admin
2. news updates
3. clip art
4. code
5. manning the chat room

> Why do you contribute to the project?

I want to work on a team and develop a great Open Source project that
focuses on content and not so much on software. I'm also interested in
developing a resource that can be used by artists and others to
automatically generate stories, movies, etc, from the various clips that
are collected.

I also am interested in learning from others on how to get a project to
run successfully and grow.

> How long does it take to learn how to contribute?

Pretty quick because I helped to develop the system.

> How did you find out about Open Clip Art Library?

I founded the project with others originally.

> What do you think would make the project better?

I think the project is already rocking. However, keeping on top of the
roadmap items better and upgrading the core of the project with DMS will
significantly make the project better.

> What are your personal goals for project?

I want the project to continue being successful. I want the project to
bust out of the Open Source bubble so that it is a resource for many
many more.

I also want it to become easier to use.

> What are your general group goals for the project?

Get more developers into the release workflow so that others no how to
make a release. Also, want more of us submitted bugs and feature
requests.

> What would you like to learn about and do on the project in the future?

I would like to spend more time contributing deeper infrastructure of
DMS and other parts of the system.

> What is the primary problem on the project?

Too difficult of a release cycle. The process has become too bloated and
needs an overhaul with the replacement of DMS.

> What is the way to solve that problem?

DMS and myself picking up a shovel (not complaining and just doing
something about it). I also think that shifting to the new system will
help remove that step of needing to do a package release, and rather
doing a release stating how much clip art has been released globally.

The project is doing very well, but I want to plow on to not get
complacent. Great!

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)