[Clipart] 0.15 Release

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Wed Jul 6 08:11:02 PDT 2005

The 0.15 release has been uploading since late last night.  The
bzip2ed tarball is available now:

http://openclipart.org/downloads/0.15/openclipart-0.15.tar.bz2

The other files will trickle into place as my bandwidth allows (except
for the Win32 installer; I can't generate that, so if the person who
did it before wants to do it again, that would be great).  But
meanwhile, if people on the list want to go ahead and have a look and
make sure everything is in order before we release the PR, grab the
.tar.bz2 from the URI above.

There are still some bugs in the process and some instances of the
HASH thing, but I believe this release is a significant improvement
over the previous one in that regard, in addition to having more
clipart.  There were a lot of new contributions this time, including
several collections -- among other things, a full set of semaphor-flag
positions, a set of Navy signal flags for the letters and numbers,
some more computer hardware, musical instruments, and vehicles,
electronic components (e.g., capacitors and whatnot), a full set of
playing cards, a bunch more food, some more animals, ...  something
for everyone.

And as usual the openclipart-0.15-failed.zip contains a wrong-format
directory, in which you can find a handful of images that I didn't
even attempt to process, because they're not .svg images.  (I did
convert the .wmf, but other formats I just set aside for now.)  Most
of these are in various bitmapped formats (.jpg is a popular one).
Before using these as source material you'll want to check their .rdf
metadata to see that they are properly public-domain and everything,
but if so, and if you are looking for source images to vectorize, as
someone brought up a while back, some of these may be suitable.  And
some may not be; I didn't really look at them very hard.

How's the PR coming along?