[Clipart] Anyone try librsvg2 on the clipart

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 9 07:02:08 PDT 2005

Matthew Gates wrote:

> Inspired by OCAL mailing list, I managed to track down one file that
> causes a segv in gqview.  There may well be more, but here is one from
> 0.15 that causes a replicable crash:
>
> blokken_arjen_meijer_01.svg
>
> inkview doesn't seem to be able to display anything useful either,
> although it doesn't crash.  It provides some error messages that
> may be helpful:
>
>   blokken_arjen_meijer_01.svg:13: namespace error : Namespace
>   prefix xlink for href on use is not defined

As this message suggests, the problem is that the xlink namespace is
used without being defined in the file.  It's defined in the DTD,
but non-validating XML parsers won't look at that.

But I think good SVG viewers should be able to cope with this, since
they should know that the standard SVG DTDs define the xlink namespace
as http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink.  If this isn't fixed in Inkscape CVS,
it should be reported as bug.  (Batik and the Adobe viewer have no
problem with the file.)

> I don't know how much mileage there is in trying to fix such broken
> files though.

We should try to make the SVG files as portable as possible.  This
particular problem is trivial to fix, as it's just a matter of adding
the attribute

  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"

to the <svg> element.

--