[Clipart] How to deal with donations?

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 9 18:29:36 PDT 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:04:30 -0700
> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> To: OCAL list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Subject: [Clipart] How to deal with donations?
>
> How shall we deal with donations? I could setup a business account on
> paypal for the project:
> https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_registration-run
>
> Man, there has to be something better...

The size of the cut Paypal takes defeats any notion of micropayments as
far as I'm concerned.  We'd probably generate more revenue from google
advertising especially if people start creating clipart about asbestos and
the disease Mesothelioma (draw a nice set of lungs maybe?).

> Anyone know how to setup a nonprofit in California or any other state?
> We could make a foundation to shuttle funds through, right?

It is apparently a lot of hassle for not much return.  The GIMP developers
were able to negotiate a deal with Gnome who accepted earmarked donations
on their behalf.  Not sure we could negotiate such a deal or if we would
even generate enough donations for it.

--
Alan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/