[Clipart] [Fwd: [discuss] Stop the Manay Scandal]

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Tue Jul 19 00:18:15 PDT 2005

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>> The following message, sent to an OpenOffice.org mailing list talk
>> about something looking like a scam by promising very cheap  software
>> on CDs and later asking for a larger price.
>> At a closer look, I found one of their discs include some of our
>> clipart - http://www.manay.com/clipart.htm
>> I know this is allowed by the PD license, but is not very pleasant for
>> us.
>

> EEEwww... they even turned them into JPEGs. Quite ugly.
>
> In any event, I wonder if there's anything that can be done. After all,
> we are talking about an open source program and public domain clipart :(

As the images are distributed as PD
"Dedicator recognizes that, once placed in the public domain, the Work
may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, used, modified,
built upon, or otherwise exploited by anyone for any purpose, commercial
or non-commercial, and in any way, including by methods that have not
yet been invented or conceived."

But OOo, GIMP and the rest of GPL software they sell should have more
power about this. I also doubt the 600 fonts and 4500 photos are free
for any use.

In fact the problem is not that they sell the software but they lie
about the price.

--
nicu