[Clipart] HASH repairs

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Thu Jul 21 17:09:09 PDT 2005

Okay, I've checked in to CVS updated versions of my repair scripts for
fixing up the many files that were damaged by the HASH bug.

This isn't quite finalized yet (more on that in a moment), but it does
handle, I *believe*, the majority of cases.  I have tested it on the
HASH-dammaged files from incoming-pre-0.13 and zipped up the resulting
-repaired.svg files.  You can look at the results here:
http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/repairs-testing.zip

I do hope a couple of people will have a look at those and do basic
sanity checks on them, e.g., they should open in various SVG viewers,
should be functionally equivalent to the dammaged versions that were
released already, should have correct metadata as best as we can
determine, and so forth.

There are still some wrinkles to iron out, of course.  If anyone can
add any to the following list, please reply to this message with
them.  I already know about the following:

 * The case where the SVG file the user submitted did not contain a
   metadata section at all is currently not handled, so there are no
   repaired versions of those.  This is a minority case, but it *can*
   be handled, I just haven't got there yet.

 * The filenames are based on the filenames of the dammaged files, not
   recalculated from scratch based on title and author.  Consequently,
   some of the filenames have HASH in them.  Currently, for testing, I
   think this is how we want it, so we can easily compare the repaired
   files to the dammaged ones, but I'll probably change this before
   doing the release.

 * The files with the a title of "box" still have HASH in them, in the
   title field.  I will try to investigate why; it may be a relic of
   incomplete repairs somehow, i.e., the title may be getting pulled
   from the wrong file's metadata.  I'll try to figure it out.

But if there are any *other* problems, I don't know about them and
need to, preferably soon, so that I can fix it before release time, so
please speak up now.  I don't want 0.16 to still have these problems,
at least not for very many of the files, if we can possibly avoid it.