[Clipart] Crossplatform tools for Clipart?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Jul 30 13:59:33 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 20:30 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Spiro Angeli wrote:
>
> > Also, one question: Now that I have openclipart installed, is there any
> > application interface (like in Micro&oft that it has a clipart application
> > where tou can browse all cliparts,......) that I will run and when I need a
> > picture I would use it? In other words, hwo to use openclipart now, in
> > relation to other applications?
>
> I wish there were an answer for this but it seem for now there is none.
>
> I am reminded agian of the need for crossplatform tools for
> OpenClipart.org and I think that means we will have to all nicely ask
> application developers to help us out and let us know if they have any
> interest in reaching a wider audience.
>
> I would love if there were an Open Source file manager we could recommend
> to all our users.  The Thumbnail browsers I would normally use on Windows
> do not support SVG and there is always the nagging feeling I should be
> using an Open Source Thumbnail browser if only I knew of a good one
> available for windows.

A developer worked on this for SVG thumbnail support in Windows for a
while but I lost track of his development efforts. It would be great to
get an update of this dev.

> Gnome users have Gthumb but it is very much a Gnome application, I dont
> think a Gtk only version even exists.
>
> F-spot is also very popular and I believe it has very good
> tagging/metadata support and presumably it has SVG support like most Gnome
> applications thanks to librsvg.  I dont know if being built on Mono makes
> it any more or less likely that F-spot would be ported to Windows.

Yeah, too bad...

> Basically what I'm getting at is should we be encouraging these two or
> some other project to become more portable and give us something we can
> recommend to users when it comes to searching and sorting the clipart we
> give them?  Frankly I'd love to see a cross platform Gtk based file
> manager that could be integrated with and reused by Inkscape and the GIMP
> and help bind them together into something resembling a Graphics Suite
> (I'm not averse to cross platform KDE/Qt softare that supports SVG).
>
> If we could even get people to agree this was a good idea how then could
> we best go about encouraging developers to cater to this need?

Join the CREATE project!

> Should we also try and encourage proprietary software like Google Picasa
> to help us and support SVG?  I'd prefer to promote Open Source software
> but promoting the SVG standard might be nearly as useful.

Yes, this is positive to support the standard.

> I'm thinking I should have maybe suggested this much earlier, like before
> the Google summer of code project started.  That work will be useful no
> matter what however I figure a much bigger tool will be needed to help
> user manage to manage the massive quantity of clipart OpenClipar.org has
> managed to amass.

Why don't you start working on a proposal for Google's upcoming
(rumored) winter of code...