[Clipart] Use 7Zip for the Open Cliparts distribution

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at digitaldistribution.com
Fri Jun 10 14:15:30 PDT 2005

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> The considerations that need to be made are:
>
>    * Can this type of file be generated on Linux (since we do our
>      packaging via Linux)

7-Zip itself is a Windows-only program. There has been work on a
command-line version that could run on Linux-Intel (but I couldn't get
it to work last time).

>    * Is this format sufficiently widespread to be of actual use?
>      (Too many options can make things more confusing for users)

Sadly, it isn't. Even if you got the Linux version working, it would be
tied to x86. The design of 7-Zip depends on the CPU being little-endian,
so it would exclude PPC and Sparc, and with it Mac OS X, Solaris, and
Yellow Dog Linux.

But even on x86-Linux, 7-Zip is far from widespread because the command
line utility hasn't been forthcomming (last time I checked).

This is sad because LZMA compression is very good.

Cheers,
Daniel.