[Clipart] [Fwd: Re: Contact + Question]

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Jun 24 20:12:01 PDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Jon Phillips wrote:

> > If your article is published, we pay $300 for "how-to" articles and
> > $100 for reviews.  If your article falls into another category, we
> > will negotiate a payment.

Their sister magazine had (has?) a similar clause to pay substantially
reduced price when published online (instead of print).

I felt it was inappropriate to write an article without knowing where they
were going to publish it a head of time (since I didn't want to write for
the small amount). The editor thought it was inappropriate of me to
question this ... so I ended up not writing for them.

> All writing is done on speculation. If TUX magazine decides to use
> the work, we will purchase first rights and compilation rights to
> the article. However, we are under no obligation to publish
> the work. If the article is selected for publication, your payment will be

I wonder why this magazine does this "on speculation". Serious freelancers
would not waste their time ... but then again there aren't very many
other related print magazines to write for.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/