[Clipart] Introduction to the Open Clip Art Library

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Thu Jun 30 01:21:56 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips wrote:

> Also, I need general checking of the info in the writing to make sure
> its accurate.
>
> Here is the info on the article: http://rejon.org/?p=68#comments

Indeed, the text is pretty long, it desperately needs to be spiced-up
with formatting (not sure if pictures are appropriate).

When writing such a long document is useful to create it right from the
start, for example using headings instead of bold for chapter titles
(just like in HTML + CSS) it will help you to generate the Table of
Contents, change styles on the fly etc.

I think about a chapter about high profile users, but the Known Uses
page on the Wiki does not have such impressive cases.

> http://rejon.org/writings/svgopen2005/paper.sxw
>
> http://rejon.org/writings/svgopen2005/paper.pdf

"The project is open because of its affiliation with the Open Source
software and cultural movement" - I would expect here something also
about Open Standards

"various Red Hat RPM packagers" - as in the Wikipedia page you mentioned
in the page footer: <<RPM Package Manager (or RPM, originally called
"Red Hat Package Manager">>, so leave it as "various RPM packagers"
(SuSe and Mandriva are NOT "Red Hat RPM packagers")

"However, using the standard software licenses like Gnu Public License
(GPL) and Lesser Gnu Public License (LGPL) did not make sense to use for
artwork, as including the previous source of all artworks in a
composition is not always possible and the developers did not
want to exclude a user from making money" - I don't think is about
money, is perfectly legal to sell a CD with SVG images licensed as GPL,
is all about of the need to opensource the larger work including clipart
(in the case of GPL, not for LGPL) and the license being designed for
code so not suitable very well art.

"What is hidden by this form is the script 'upload_svg.cgi' which parses
a submission and checks to make sure" - is really necessary to expose
the internals like this? is useful for the reader to know how the script
is named? maybe "is a script which parses" is enough.

"Thanks to the Google's Summer of Code, there is funding to
support a new developer" - I guess this also deserve a subsol note with
a link about SoC

"Another primary push that needs to happen is further interoperability
with OpenOffice.org (OO.o)" - the usual short name is OOo (without the dot)

"Daniel Carrera, donated the domain name www.openclipart.org to the
project" - in fact Chad Smith was the one who donated the domain. Chad
is an OOo *supporter*, but he was never really active on OCAL.

"As the Open Clip Art Library lists as its motto, 'Put your clip art
into circulation today' at http://www.openclipart.org/" - this is our
motto? then it should be listed on the page instead of "Share Your
Vector Graphics" :D

minor misspellings: "cd-rom" should be "CD-ROM" and Fedora is "Fedora
Core", not "Fedora Corea". also you keep misspelling my name :p

--
nicu