[Clipart] release

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 8 03:54:27 PST 2005

Jon Phillips wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 09:44 +0000, Stephen Silver wrote:
> > Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> > > Some of them could be.
> >
> > If I fix some of these, what should I do with them?  Putting them
> > through the upload script again wouldn't be a good idea, as they
> > are likely to get broken again.
>
> Well, we should try to figure out how these images were broken and
> what is broken so we can prevent in the future.

They are broken by leaving in MIME separators (looks like a CGI::Lite
bug) and by mishandling of non-ASCII characters and of ASCII characters
that need to be escaped in XML.  There may be other things too, but
these are the most obvious.

> Then, I think we should fix them.

I think we should start fixing them now.  We shouldn't delay fixing
them just because the upload script needs fixing too.  I just need a
way to get the files into the release process without going through
the upload script again.

But as well as fixing them we should also make it obvious that they
*are* being fixed.  When someone spends a lot of time creating an image,
and OCAL apparently just discards it without explanation or obvious
reason, it's likely to put them off ever contributing again.

> Are the broken images all contained in the 0.11 or are there multiples
> ones for the past releases? What I'm getting at is if we are dragging
> along broken images along each release or are there broken ones
> elsewhere that we need to fix.

They are not usually dragged along from previous releases.  There are
over 200 different SVG files in the failed-file zips that Jonadab made
for releases 0.09, 0.10 and 0.11.  I don't know what has happened to
the failed files from release 0.08 and earlier - perhaps they have been
lost entirely.

--
Stephen Silver