[Clipart] Making our thumbnails comply with the thumbnail spec, i.e., 128x128px

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun May 1 08:14:23 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 19:23 -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> At some point (not for this release), we will want to make the
> thumbnails in our packages usable by apps that use the fdo thumbnail
> specification for thumbnails.  The (theoretical, currently
> non-existent -- thus, no hurry) unpackager/installer will handle
> storing them in the right location on the filesystem according to the
> spec, but it can avoid having to parse any SVG or generate any
> thumbnails itself if the thumbnails we provide are usable.  We already
> use PNG, which is the format the spec sanctions, so we're partway
> there, but...  they will have to be square, 128x128 pixels (for
> "normal" size, which is the smallest size specified in the spec).  Of
> course, many of the images aren't anywhere near square in shape, and
> stretching them in a way that distorts the aspect ratio seems to me
> like the wrong approach.
>
> So, here's a thread where we can discuss what the right approach is.
> Cropping to a square or centering (on a square background) are the
> other obvious approaches.  Is one of these less evil than the other?
> Would a combination of the two be a good compromise, or the worst of
> both worlds?  Discuss.

I started the wiki page for concretizing our support from this
discussion:

http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Thumbnail_Support

I am or the fd.o spec. I think PNG and 128x128 is great to use on the
site and for the packages. I think we should unify and get support for
this up to spec. I can adjust the site to suit.

For the image, then we can shrink the longest side to 128 px, center it,
put white background or leave none (alpha transparent, or what does the
spec say about that).

Then, we can put spacing between all the images so we don't need to
worry about putting a frame around the image that is converted to a
128px square thumbnail.

Please post thoughts to the wiki page...

KOREA PH 010.3140.7483
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)