[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library autopackage

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Sat May 21 01:36:44 PDT 2005

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> The advantages of using autopackage for the open clip art library would
> be a) it is considered easier for non-technical users to use, b) its
> distro independence means that we could provide one package that
> installs to any linux system, c) Inkscape also uses autopackage as
> one of its packaging formats, and d) Mike Hearn (it's main author) is a
> cool guy that's supported Inkscape since early on.

a) easier compared with yum or portage, but our packages are just right
click->extract here
b) tarballs are also distro independent

I think such an installer is mostly useful when you need dependency
solving, installation in specific paths, shortcuts and launchers.

That being said, if someone step up and offer to produce autopackages
for our releases, I don't see any reason to turn him down.