[Clipart] Open Office Assocition?

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Tue Nov 1 23:03:31 PST 2005

Bernhard Haumacher wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
>
>>How can we push for this to be included in the standard OO.o
>>distribution?
>

> This is mainly a problem of OOo's Java policy. They refuse to
> incorporate post-Java-1.4 (or 1.3?) code into the main code line. I

The policy is like this: it can go in only if it supported by a free
implementation of Java (this means GNU Classpath). The policy was put in
place because OOo may not Free because of the increased dependency of
Sun Java.

> choose Java 1.5 with generics and all the funny 1.5 stuff for
> development. Therefore, there is currently no much chance to get it

This was your strategic mistake :p

> into the standard distribution. And since the transformation is not
> yet complete, I don't feel much inclined to back port it.

This was a lot of talk if OOo will keep the current long release cycles
(1.5-2 years) or will go for shorter 6 months. AFAIK, this was not yet
decided.
If the next major release will be in 1.5-2 years, considering the rapid
speed of Classpath development, there is a big chance to be supported
then, but 1.5 years is a *huge* wait.

--
nicu
OOo Romanian NL Project: http://ro.openoffice.org